How to add subtitles to a video for free on YouTube? We got you covered.
Adding subtitles increases the total watch time of your YouTube videos. In addition, it helps reach a new audience that doesn’t speak the same language as you.
The process of adding subtitles to a YouTube video is straightforward and easy to understand. YouTube’s speech recognition tool provides automatic subtitles, which you can access even if you don’t wish to upload the video on YouTube. Furthermore, it is entirely free to use.
Let’s see how to add subtitles to a video on YouTube;
Where and How to find the option to add subtitles on YouTube?
There are two ways to access the option to add subtitles to a video on YouTube. If the video is already uploaded, then follow the following steps to add subtitles:
- Sign in to YouTube Studio
- From the left menu, select Subtitles.
- Click the video that you want to edit.
- If automatic subtitles are available, you will see the option to “Duplicate and edit.”
- However, if the YT subtitles are not available, you can add them on your own. Click ADD LANGUAGE and select your language.
- Under subtitles, click ADD.
If you are uploading the video on YouTube, then you can add subtitles at this stage too. Once you have put in the Title and description of your YouTube video, You will see “Add Subtitles” option.
Click on “Add”
Now you will see 3 options to add subtitles to your video on your own. Let’s check out what are these options and how to navigate through them.
You can directly copy the subtitles and paste them on YouTube.
- Select Auto-sync.
- Paste the words in the video or upload a transcript file.
- Select ASSIGN TIMINGS.
- This will transform the text into a proper video transcript with timings.
- Then click SAVE AND CLOSE
Upload a file
You can upload a document to YouTube containing your subtitles for the video.
Before you start, make sure that your file type is supported on YouTube.
- Select Upload File.
- Choose between With timing or Without timing, then select Continue.
- Choose a file to upload.
- Select Save.
- Type Manually
YouTube also allows users to type the subtitles manually as they watch the video.
Your subtitle and caption timings will be set automatically with this option.
- Select “Type manually.”
- Play the video and enter your captions or subtitles. You can pause while typing.
- Click on the“+” to add another line. Once the entire video is transcribed.
- Click on “PUBLISH.”
You can better edit the subtitles through the editing panel at the bottom. This is because it’s easier to time the subtitles and edit the text there.
Try adding subtitles and transcripts to your next YT Video and gauge the difference in views and watch time. As you now know how to add subtitles to a video on YouTube what’s stopping you from trying it?
How can I add subtitles to a video for free?
You can add the video to YT studio and use Google’s free speech recognition tool to add subtitles to your video for free. You don’t have to upload the video on YouTube, you can just use the YouTube editor to add subtitles.
How do I permanently add subtitles to MP4?
You can use online free tools like veed.io to add subtitles to MP4 permanently